Mexican food has always been my favorite (with pizza coming in a close second). There was a restaurant called Tumbleweed in Lexington that was always my first choice on the occasion that I got to pick where my family would eat. The chips and salsa were amazing, but the “Burrito Deluxe” is what kept me coming back for more. That’s what inspired my original famous burritos, but since going vegan I’ve had to tweak the recipe a bit. Honestly, I think I might like these even more than the originals. Oh, and what makes them famous? Anyone I’ve made them for has always requested them a 2nd time!
Qunioa Taco “Meat”
8 Tortillas (burrito size)
2 15oz cans Refried Beans
2 8oz cans Enchilada Sauce (I use Old El Paso)
2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
1 Avocado (diced)
1. Prepare the quinoa taco “meat”. Between cooking the quinoa and then baking it in the oven this can take close to an hour so sometimes I’ll prep it ahead of time.
2. If you did the quinoa ahead of time you’ll need to preheat the oven to 375.
3. In a large baking dish, spoon 2/3 of a can of enchilada sauce over the bottom – be sure to cover the bottom so the burritos won’t stick!
4. Fill each tortilla with 1/4 can of beans and 1/8 of the quinoa taco meat. Roll it and place it seam side down in the baking dish.
5. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
6. Serve warm with toppings. I like tomatoes, avocado, and lettuce.